Taking the Fear out of Common Dental Phobias
It is not uncommon for people to be afraid of the dentist. Like most fears, worries about visiting the dentist are based on myths. It is helpful to be examined and treated by a dentist you trust who has an office in your locale, is sympathetic, and has experience working with nervous or uncomfortable patients. Oxford Dental in North Edmonton has a team of friendly professionals who can talk you through your routine or specialized dental appointment, answering any questions and ensuring you feel at ease during your dental treatment.
Understanding Dental Anxiety and Phobia
Want to understand your phobia or a loved one’s fears about dental treatments? Don’t let fear stop you from taking care of your oral health. Read on to understand more about this common but unfounded fear. Here’s what you need to know:
- It’s Common – It has been estimated that more than 10% of the population suffer from dental anxiety and phobia. Many people allow this fear to keep them from taking care of their dental health and they simply avoid visiting the dentist. Don’t let dental troubles progress to more serious problems that require a more invasive solution.
- It’s Risky – Since most people avoid the dentist based on this fear, they are at risk for developing cavities and more serious health concerns. Poor dental health has been connected to other health problems like heart disease, so taking care of your teeth is more important than you may think.
- Causes – Most people fear pain. However, much technological advancement has been made, and experienced dentists will ensure that you experience minimal pain and discomfort. Other people cite a loss of control or feeling of helplessness as the reason they do not like going to the dentist. Negative past experiences or feelings of embarrassment as someone looks into your mouth could also be a reason you dislike going to the dentist.
- Signs of Suffering – If you have trouble sleeping the night before your dental appointment or are so afraid that you never see a dentist, you likely suffer from dental anxiety or a more extreme phobia.
- Techniques to Overcome – Feeling like you are at the mercy of another individual may cause you to feel anxious, but it is important to keep reminding yourself that you are taking control of your dental health by putting yourself in the dentist’s chair. What may help is to continuously remind yourself of the good aspects of visiting the dentist and how the experience is beneficial to you and your overall health. If you did not like your previous visits to the dentist, make an appointment at Oxford Dental to see how our dentists can change your experience.
Are you ready to take the right steps and work at overcoming your dental phobia? Book your appointment at Oxford Dental for a checkup and teeth cleaning today. Our north Edmonton dentists are accepting new patients and can help you feel comfortable in the dentists’ chair while you take a proactive approach to your dental health. We provide a variety of dental services from routine checkups to cosmetic dentistry treatments, so you and the rest of your family can trust us to care for your oral health.